Saturday, June 6, 2009

The Jonas Brothers Come to Bernales

Ok well not literally, but the young people here have discovered them. One of the coordinators was telling me that her 19 year old son wanted her to buy one of their CDs when we went to Pisco. High School Musical has also arrived. I heard a girl singing along to one of the Vanessa Hudgon's songs about 30 minutes ago. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I have not only seen HSM, but also the Jonas Brothers movie where they're at a summer camp. During training last fall, I was living with 2 young girls (5 and 12), so needless to say, I watched a lot of Discovery Kids and Disney. I even got to see the Backyardagains which I know about due to my little cousin Ava. Truth be told, Discovery Kids and Disney are great to watch when your still not great with Spanish. I also saw Horton Hears a Who and Kung Fu Panda last fall in español...they were great. But when I hear the Jonas Brothers blaring from a house when I walk down the street, it makes me laugh a little to myself.

Anyway, the weather is getting cold here. Yes, it gets cold in the desert apparently. I thought I would have no use for my wool socks, jackets, sweaters, hiking boots, etc., but I've been wearing them daily! Weather.com says it's about 60 degrees, which really isn't that cold, but either I'm becoming a totally wimp or more likely I think is the fact that my house isn't exactly enclosed makes for an all around chilly day. Add to that the fact that I have cold water showers and it makes it a little more undesirable. It's also been raining a little here, not enough to have muddy streets, but enough so that my slanted roof let in a bunch of rain that soaked half of my bedroom floor. Luckily, my host dad put some plastic on the roof, so now my room is a little warmer and only a little rain got in last night.

I don't mean to complain. I actually think the cool weather is making me more productive. I've been running more and I got quite a bit of work accomplished last week. Moving around means getting warmer, so it's working I think. I also have a whole new appreciation for my compañeros in the mountains. One of my friends told me that he grew tired of doing laundry and having mold grow on his clothes (they wouldn't dry due to the constant rain), so he takes his laundry to the capital city every 2 weeks and has it cleaned.

Shoot...gotta run...more later.

No comments: