Sunday, January 3, 2010

Home for the Holidays!

I got a little taste of America last week. Yes, that's right. For those of you who didn't know or unfortunately I did not have time to see, I was back in the States for about a week to spend Christmas with my family. I didn't experience as much culture shock as I had thought I would, but what surprised me the most was how distant I feel from Michigan (emotionally, not literally). It definitely made me also realize that I will mostly likely not return to MI after my Peace Corps service. For reasons of work, not wanting to have a car, wanting to maintain my Spanish-speaking abilities, wanting to be near family, etc. MI just doesn't make sense for me anymore. Michigan will always be home for me, but I see my future outside of that great state.

Anyway, here I am back in Peru. Landing in the country made me surprisingly happy and excited to get back to what has become reality for me now. I realized that I missed the fresh, unprocessed food, the climate, the language and the people more than I thought I would. I spent New Year's Eve camping on the beach with other Peace Corps friends which was fun and exhausting. I've spent the last day and a half sleeping and recovering from all the traveling, so that come tomorrow (Monday) I can get right back to work.

Speaking of work...next month the Builders Beyond Borders volunteers arrive! This month will be very busy getting everything ready for that, but I am very excited for the project. After the second group comes in April, a third of the year will already be over! I have a feeling this year is going to fly by which makes me happy and sad all at the same time. I've already thought of what it will be like to say goodbye to this country - the people, food, culture, etc.- and it brings tears to my eyes, so really I try not to think about the end, because I know I'll be a mess.

2010 is going to be a big, crazy year, but I have high hopes and big expectations for what's in store. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and are ready for the new decade!

No comments: