Friday, March 6, 2009

A Note About Baking in Peru

Post #2

Things made (food-wise) while in Peru and how they turned out:

Item: yellow cake with chocolate frosting
Result: the cake didn't reallyg rise and the frosting was incredibly sugar-y

Item: banana carrot bread
Result: again, it didn't really rise, but tastes delicious

Item: peanut butter
Result: very good, but a little burnt tasting

In the US, one of my favorite things to make are brownies. When I was studying abroad in Ecuador I tried to make them twice, and both times the turned out terrible (granted I forgot to do the whole high altitude conversions). With the cake and bread attempts here, I think it might have to do with the sugar. The sugar I buy here is the big granule type (kind of like Sugar in the Raw) and a friend told me this may be too heavy for the cake to rise...interesting.

In general, it's just hard to make conversions. Ingredients are different as well as oven-devices. The ovens that do exists here are generally gas powered and cost way to much to use. When I baked the bread and cake, I used an electric portable oven that did not have a temperature setting.

I am going to keep trying to make things until I can figure out some successes. The next thing on the list to make...oatmeal cinnamon raisin pancakes...I can't wait!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel like I'm there kiddo. Is the fall season approaching? Perhaps a bakery would share a few secrets on how to get things to rise, work the ovens, etc.

Waiting to hear about how water and sanitation projects are going. NM is having high winds...getting closer to Spring now. Be safe in the travels. Tu madre.

JS said...

hey girl, we'll get you set up at reconnect. I'm helping a woman in my site start a reposteria, so we've got the cooking thing down finally.

i can get them cakes to rise!

-Jenny