Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Earthquake!

I experienced my first temblor (tremor/small earthquake) on Monday night...it was awesome! My host mom and 5 year old sister were kind of scared so I hid my excitement. It really was tiny. I heard a noise, which I thought was a large truck, and then I started feeling th ground shake a little. So normally you´re supposed to go into a doorway during an earthquake, but my whole family ran outside, so I followed suit (considering my entire house is made out of concrete, I think this was actually a pretty good idea).

Today is the bday of a fellow aspirante (we´re called this for now since we aren´t officially volunteers yet) so last night he and his host family threw a big party...grafitti that is. It was awesome. I was a little worried that it might get a littl out of control, but it was fine. Everyone had a great time and no one got out of control. It was pretty hilarious to see the expressions on the faces of the Peruvians, but when I asked them what they thought of the whole thing, they said they thought it was fun. For those of you who don´t know what a grafitti party is...you wear a plain white t-shirt and write on one another with markers. So now I have a crazy t-shirt that I´ll probably use for pajamas.

Today is a holiday celebrating the victory of some battle, so we have the day off. It´s nice to have a break, but I think I actually prefer to be busy. I´ve been feeling a littl down the past few days and I think it actually has something to do with that fact that I´m not working. I´ve gon from working about 60 hours a week to not working at all. While I dfinitely love what I´m doing and feel so grateful for the amazing training I´m receiving, I´m somewhat frustrated that I´m not contributing to Peruvian society (yes, I know, PC is also about cultural exchange, but still). One of my biggest regrets from my study-abroad experience was not volunteering and just going to school, traveling and partying. I know I will have 2 full years to make wonderful contributions to my Peruvian community, but for now I guess I´m just feeling antsy.

Well that´s all for now. I have some studying to do and I need to get ready for my language interview tomorrow. Chau!

No comments: